West U Elementary School Students made birthday cards and packaged birthday surprises for children at Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital, Texas Children’s Hospital, Casa de Esperanza and The Children’s Assessment Center. All centers were exceptionally grateful and excited to receive the birthday bags. We were able to provide 500 birthday bags to these amazing organizations! Way to go WUES! In addition, gently used Halloween/dress up costumes were collected. We collected about 250 costumes! The costumes were donated to The Children’s Assessment Center and will be distributed for their annual Halloween Parade and Halloween costume use. Thank you for sharing your costumes – they will bring smiles to so many faces! Thank you to all Service Project Volunteers! Your help was greatly appreciated!
We have the opportunity to participate in three fun service projects this school year! These opportunities will allow students to serve our community in a variety of ways.
If you would like to help with any of the 2016-17 service projects or for general information, please contact Service Chair, Courtney Tsao.
Birthday Bags and Costume Recycling
Project Description: Students will make birthday cards and pack birthday packages for children who may otherwise have an unrecognized and uncelebrated birthday. In addition, gently used Halloween/dress up costumes will be collected for donation.
Project Date: Tuesday, October 11, 2016
• Classroom volunteers – each classroom will need volunteers to help organize bag assembly and card making.
• Classroom volunteer – transport donated costumes from the classroom to the MPR and sort costumes for donation.
Souper Bowl of Caring
Project Description: The annual favorite food drive! WUES families gather canned and packaged dry goods and bring them to school throughout the week. In 2016, WUES continued our tradition of outstanding giving and was, again, the top donating school in the entire country! Donations benefit the Houston Food Bank.
Project Dates: Monday, January 30 – Friday, February 3, 2017
• Classroom volunteer – transport your classroom’s donation to the MPR to be weighed and sorted.
• Sorter – volunteer for one day or daily to help sort the donations.
• Protein counter – count and record protein points for each class donation for one day or daily
• Heavy lifter – Use the dollies (handcarts) to help move donation boxes outside. Help needed daily but especially on Friday!
• Heavy lifter (Scale duty) – assistance needed lifting donations on and off scales to be weighed daily.
• Weigh station – Weighing each donation and recording weights by class.
Gently Used Book Drive
Project Description: Students can donate new or gently used books. Donations benefit Books Between Kids (http://www.booksbetweenkids.org), a non-profit organization serving Houston’s at-risk children by providing them with books to build their own home libraries.
Project Date: Monday, February 27 – Friday, March 3, 2017
• Classroom volunteer – transport your classroom’s donation to the MPR to be sorted.
• Sorter – volunteer for one day or daily to help sort the donated books.
• Collector – travel the halls to collect donations to bring to the MPR for sorting.
Project Description: Throughout the year, classrooms will collect “worn out” markers and send them to be recycled, as part of Crayola’s ColorCycle (http://www.crayola.com) Recycling Program. Families are invited to send expired markers to school for recycling, as well!
Project Date: Monday, August 22 – Thursday, May 25, 2017
• Committee volunteer – help make collection boxes for individual classrooms, help monitor main collection box, or tape and mail main collection box when full.
Advertising helps supplement this free website by DigitalPTO.com | Disable Ads Here